Using this post, I’m going to describe a bit about different types of testing required for Mobile app.
Functional testing ensures that the application is working as per the requirements. Most of the test conducted for this is driven by the user interface and call flows.
Laboratory testing, usually carried out by network carriers, is done by simulating the complete wireless network. This test is performed to find out any glitches when a mobile application uses voice and/or data connection to perform some functions.
This testing process is undertaken to check the performance and behavior of the application under certain conditions such as low battery, bad network coverage, low available memory, simultaneous access to application’s server by several users and other conditions. Performance of an application can be affected from two sides: application’s server side and client’s side. Performance testing is carried out to check both.
Memory Leakage Testing
Memory leakage happens when a computer program or application is unable to manage the memory it is allocated resulting in poor performance of the application and the overall slowdown of the system. As mobile devices have significant constraints of available memory, memory leakage testing is crucial for the proper functioning of an application.
An application while functioning may face several interruptions like incoming calls or network coverage outage and recovery. The different types of interruptions are:
- Incoming and Outgoing SMS and MMS
- Incoming and Outgoing calls
- Incoming Notifications
- Battery Removal
- Cable Insertion and Removal for data transfer
- Network outage and recovery
- Media Player on/off
- Device Power cycle
- An application should be able to handle these interruptions by going into a suspended state and resuming afterwards.
6. Usability testing- Usability testing is carried out to verify if the application is achieving its goals and getting a favorable response from users. This is important as the usability of an application is its key to commercial success
7. Installation testing- Certain mobile applications come pre-installed on the device whereas others have to be installed from the store. Installation testing verifies that the installation process goes smoothly without the user having to face any difficulty. This testing process covers installation, updating and uninstalling of an application.
8. Certification Testing- To get a certificate of compliance, each mobile device needs to be tested against the guidelines set by different mobile platforms.